Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Memphis Vegan-Friendly Food Trucks: StickEm

I'm starting a new blog series! You've probably seen posts in my Bluff City Vegan Eats series, where I feature reviews of vegan-friendly Memphis restaurants (and then I include them in this handy-dandy Memphis vegan dining guide). But since I started that series about three or four years ago, the food truck scene has totally exploded here. And most of our food trucks here have vegan options, so I'll be reviewing them as often as I can. And soon, I'll start a new guide just for vegan-friendly food trucks. Since they're mobile, it seems unfair to include them in the regular dining guide.

One of my very favorite food trucks is StickEm. The concept is just like it sounds — food on a stick. And lucky for us, they offer tofu on a stick.


They've recently changed their recipe for tofu. Before, they offered a pressed vegan ham-style tofu that was so meaty it actually tricked me the first time. I thought they'd accidentally given me chicken. Once I realized it wasn't meat, I ate the heck out of it. But last Friday, StickEm was the featured truck at Emerge Memphis Food Truck Fridays, just a block from my office, so my co-workers and I stopped by.

I ordered the Tofu Stick Platter with mixed veggies.


And rather than the ham-style tofu, this time, they offered big cubes of deep-fried tofu awesomeness. I loved the old tofu sticks, but I loved these so much more. I wish I could eat this everyday. The tofu has a yummy char-grilled taste, and the veggies are steamed and then sauteed. And then of course, I doused them in sriracha.

You can also order the tofu stick platter with fries instead of veggies. But I opted for veg since I knew I was planning a very fried dinner of vegan fish at Imagine. But more on that another day.

You can find out where StickEm will be next on Facebook or Twitter.

1 comment:

Renard Moreau said...

[ Smiles ] You Americans are so lucky to have vegan food trucks; we don't have anything like that yet in Trinidad and Tobago.